We’re hiring: Research Assistant
Position: Junior Research Associate
Location: Remote work or hybrid in Montréal or Ottawa.
Hours of Work: 10 to 20 hours per week
Start date: ASAP
Reporting: Reports to DAWN’s Senior Research Associate
Pay: $26 per hour
About DAWN Canada
The DisAbled Women’s Network of Canada (DAWN) is an intersectional human rights organization established in 1985, whose mission is to end the poverty, isolation, discrimination and violence experienced by women, girls and gender-diverse people with disabilities and those that are Deaf. Our overarching strategic theme is one of leadership, partnership and networking to engage all levels of government and the wider disability and women’s sectors and other stakeholders in addressing our key issues. Research is the foundational pillar of our mission as it informs our education, policy and advocacy pillars.
Scope and Purpose:
DAWN is seeking an enthusiastic research assistant to contribute to research activities that support the organization’s mission and goals. Key research areas at DAWN Canada include gender-based violence, housing, care and livelihoods. DAWN Canada research activities target women, girls, and gender-diverse people with disabilities, governments, human rights, civil society organizations and researchers.
- Conducting literature reviews
- Gathering data through qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Contributing to intersectional data analysis and to the development of policy recommendations,
- Writing policy briefs and research reports
Experience and Qualifications:
- Graduate degree (MA or PhD) or two years of graduate studies in Critical Disabilities Studies, Gender Studies or related fields
- Experience in advocacy or policy work an asset
- Demonstrated engagement with disability justice, intersectional and human rights frameworks
- Excellent analytical and writing skills
- Experience working in a collaborative environment
- Self-motivated and handles multi-tasking well
- Bilingualism is not necessary but an asset
- Knowledge of ASL/LSQ is an asset
- DAWN values lived experience
DAWN is an equal opportunity employer. As an employer who values diversity in the workforce, DAWN Canada encourages candidates to self-identify as members of a marginalized group when applying for this position.
We encourage, among others, Black, Indigenous and women of color, with disabilities and Deaf, identifying as LGBTQIA2+ and/or immigrants to apply.
Please send your resume and cover letter in an accessible electronic document to:
Successful candidates will be contacted to set up an interview.