DAWN Canada’s mission is to end the poverty, isolation, discrimination and violence experienced by women with disabilities and Deaf women. DAWN is an organization that works towards the advancement and inclusion of women and girls with disabilities and Deaf women in Canada. Our overarching strategic theme is one of leadership, partnership and networking to engage all levels of government and the wider disability and women’s sectors and other stakeholders in addressing our key issues.
To achieve our mission on behalf of women with disabilities, we have set the following goals:
- to do outreach with all women with disabilities, including indigenous women, black women, Asian women, South Asian women, women of color, immigrant women, lesbians, older women, women in institutions and single mothers.
- to address issues such as poverty, employment equity, violence, mothering, sexuality, health, isolation, access to services and New Reproductive Technologies (NRTs).
- to be a resource for and about women with disabilities and our concerns.
- to provide role models for girls with disabilities.
- to be a bridge between women with disabilities and the women’s movement.
- to work together with the women’s movement on issues which affect all women and to help the movement become more accessible to women with disabilities.
- to work in coalition with those who share our concerns for social justice; and
- to be the voice of women with disabilities in Canada.