Starting May 26th, DAWN Canada will be participating in National AccessAbility Week (NAAW)! We will be hosting an online campaign on Twitter and a blogathon to raise awareness to the urgency of an accessible environment for women with disabilities. Follow the hashtag #NAAW2019 to participate and follow along!
What is NAAW?
From May 26 to June 1 is National AccessAbility Week. It is a week for Canadians to promote inclusion and accessibility in our communities and workplaces, to celebrate our progress and to be inspired to further break down accessibility barriers.
We need to change the way we think, talk and act about barriers to participation and accessibility and we need to do it right from the start, not as an afterthought. An inclusive Canada is one where all Canadians can participate and have an equal opportunity to succeed in their workplaces and communities.
National AccessAbility Week aims to bring this perspective to the forefront for Canadians, and highlight some of the important initiatives the government and its partners are undertaking to bring about this change.
On May 28th, DAWN Canada will be hosting a Twitter chat on topics of accessibility. Please join us!
During the campaign, we will be asking:
- What does National AccessAbility Week mean to women with disabilities and Deaf women?
- What are barriers faced by women with disabilities and Deaf women when seeking education or looking for employment?
- What are obstacles faced by mothers with disabilities and mothers of children with disabilities when seeking services?
How can you participate?
Chat and engage!
We hope the Twitter chat will create a space for many to openly discuss issues around accessibility, and we are sure you have a lot to say!
We also realize you are likely very busy, and discussing such issues in depth on the fly can be a challenge.Because of this, we encourage you to draft tweets in advance. We’ve also included some suggested tweets/examples to help as inspiration!
- May 26 to June 1 is National #AccessAbility Week—a week dedicated to inclusion & accessibility in #AccessibleCanada Canada.ca/accessability-week
- This National #AccessAbility Week, let’s highlight, celebrate & promote accessibility and inclusion in #AccessibleCanada Canada.ca/accessability-week
- We are dedicated to an inclusive and #AccessibleCanada! How can we ensure an inclusive and #AccessibleCanada for women with disabilities and Deaf women? #NAAW2019
- We are dedicated to an inclusive and #AccessibleCanada! How does a lack of access directly affect the lives of women with disabilities and Deaf women? #NAAW2019
- We are dedicated to an inclusive and #AccessibleCanada! What can we do to ensure women with disabilities and Deaf women feel safe to voice their accessibility needs? #NAAW2019